I want to attempt to update everyone that has been so kind to ask. I also want to say thank you to all of you that are praying, that have sent help and meals . Without prayers I don't feel I could deal with this latest blow.
Last Tuesday evening ( eve before St Sebastian which I have more thoughts on that ) our house caught fire out side of my bedroom /bathroom / closet.
It was around 11 pm , Sebastian was coloring in the floor and went to brush his teeth . My bathroom door had been closed because it is a cold room ( fake glass bathroom squares over tub) I also rarely turn heat on . I smelled wax . I can't not recall whom saw the orange light first Sebastian (6) said he did. But I saw it and thought it was my neighbors house so I ran out side to look . As soon as I saw the side of my house was engulfed in flames , I ran in my cell calling 911 and yelling to get kids out of the house , a few were sleeping already . Felicity And Sebastian got in my van ( in garage) I back van out ( I knew fire fighters would need it out ) I parked it across the street . Dehvin moved her jeep too . I ran back in to get cats ,Ethan grabbed the ferret , the cats were running under beds. I grabbed what I could from my closet as I keep doula bags and camera ( and many things ) put it in the van. St Augustine beach police arrived he had extinguisher , Ethan and I got water hose on , my neighbor vinyl siding had already melted it was so hot. I ran to her door to wake her also and her visiting hearing impaired sil .
St. John's county fire rescue arrived we got out of the way.
Dehvin was with the kids in van, yes they were crying .
It was very cold I was in work out pants and a shirt . The police officer gave me his coat .
*We were questioned and during this time we realized the cause . I ONLY share this to help someone else in the future , it was an accident but my son had cleaned out the fire place ashes he said but that there were no coals . Apparently he had placed some ashes in a bag and placed the bag in the garage :( . This was around 3 pm before soccer practice. I normally clean it and put out side later use in garden .
By 3 am I was allowed back in to gather some items lucky I had some clothes in. My bathroom . I gathered whAt could . Each of us had a bag.
The fire dept doing its job had used an ax in the ceiling of my closet and shower checking for fire in the attic however busted the main water pipe . So my closet and bathroom were flooded.
Thursday the adjusters came . I feel I need to share this because of the questions I Have been asked many times regarding insurance . It is a special situation , but I have lived in this house 5 years . The homeowner was a kind lady her husband help start USAA . After my husband left us due to his severe PTSd and Tbi from the deployment ( we are still legally married but he has no involvement ) anyway Elinor wanted to donate the house to my church but they couldn't handle it so the k of c got alpha omega involved to take ownership but I was suppose to get a lifetime deed to the house . It didn't play out that way . So I have been paying a type of rent that was for HOA/taxes / insurance . and escrow . I never asked them to do a thing I fix things I painted myself I treated it as my house . Garden, trees etc .
I never got renters insurance since I thought the insurance I was paying toward covered my belongings. Besides living on an island usaa doesn't have flood insurance for Florida .
I learned Thursday that " my belongings are not covered because I am a tenant" I was already very distraught and this just hit me hard . I was told until Adjuster took photos I couldn't removed my stuff from the closet .
I finally removed everything last two days . I knew the bins in the back had water in them . Baby memories , old slings , books etc . Clothes with smoke water and insulation . I share with Felicity And Sebastian . My dressers are still in the room full of clothes I just need to wash them . I had to throw out half of my clothes today I don't own a lot anyway but I have salvaged some skirts , a pair of jeans etc . So I'm not totally without . I have way more than many I know that are homeless .
I did save my packed doula bag and camera . However my camera needs to be looked at its malfunctioning . I am a professional photographer also that doulaing is how I supper my family .
I did spend two nights in a hotel but I am now in a very generous friend's home off the island ( can for a few weeks ) but drive back and forth to feed pets and walk dog .
Currently waiting on other bids so insurance can get this rebuilding going . They need to redo my room closet and bathroom . At this time I don't know if insurance will allow me to live there during construction . I hope after the pros do the smoke cleaning I can . The house has no power . Water was just turned back on since repair for that was done .
I am very thankful we got out Alive . I suffered smoke inhalation and was already very sensitive to smoke . I still can not talk so I whisper and I am coughing but I am not sick with a cold I am not sure why I am still .
I will attempt to post some videos and pics
This is outside of my bathroom and closet



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment, have a Blessed Day!