Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dehvin is 18!!!

September 9

It is so hard to believe I am the mother of a 18 year old! A lot has changed since I became a mother the first time 18 years ago.

Dehvin was born on her US due date...Pretty funny if you KNOW me and how I loathe Ultra sounds....With each child you live and learn.
I woke up the morning of Sept 9 having 'cramps'. SO we knew today was the day....We had breakfast....at Burger King of all places...I had french toast sticks! Those that know me KNOW I just do not eat fast food!
I went to my OB and he confirmed I was 'in labor' I was not feeling the contractions he said. I was having them every 3 minutes..but I only felt cramps every 10 minutes.

We were sent to the hospital. I walked around all afternoon. Fast forward....before the shift change...Dr decides lets break your bag of water....being uneducated I allowed that...There was meconium...so they place an internal monitor on her scalp! YES again knowing what I know this ANGERS me.

Shift change occurs....I am feeling different but not sure why being a first time mom. Ryan attempts to get a nurse because I feel like a need to go potty...IT took half and hour to get a nurse in the room because of a shift change.
The nurse comes in, Im like I need to go potty etc... she is like well it has not been that long blah blah... I keep shifting in the bed. I make a grunt. So the nurse is like I guess I can check you but it has not been that long. She lifts my sheet and yells "omgoodness she is crowning"

To say the least that lit a fire. She had me keep my knees together.....trying to get the dr there. This went on for over 45 minutes....

At 7:46 pm, 30 seconds after the Dr walked in Dehvin was born...with REM "man in the moon' playing on the radio.

I was labeled a "fast labor" patient....I found that funny now....

We had a rough start nursing....I went two months with bleeding cracked nipples! But I got thru it. I wanted to cave one night and give her a bottle because that case was on teh dresser taht showed up in the mail...But Ryan said he knew if He let me I would never forgive him! Ryan is also the one that finally said on night, why dont you keep her on you instead of trying to lay her in the bassinet by our bed! That began our family bed!

Dehvin gained very slow and had a hard time nursing but went on to nurse beyond age 5! She was our high need fussy baby (according to Dr Sears) I literally carried her in my arms all the time. I discovered my first sling when she was 9 months old at my FIRST La Leche League Meeting! That first LLL meeting saved my life! IT changed everything! I finally felt normal!

I had been following my instincts all along! Little did I know then that Our Lady of La Leche had a HUGE role in my life then.....

Here is Dehvin as a newborn with her Grammy




Here is Dehvin on her 18th Birthday!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, have a Blessed Day!