Wednesday, September 28, 2011

In Loving Memory of "Grampa"

On September 16, 2011 just before 2 pm, Ryan's father, David passed away at home surrounded by his four children and wife Gail.
We learned he had stage 4 lung cancer when Ryan returned home from his deployment to Iraq last December. He had been going thru intense chemotherapy since january. There was shrinkage as of June. However mid August he was having difficulties breathing again. Tests confirmed the cancer had spread and grown larger. I feel due to the need of O2 which more than likeley caused the cancer to grow more fierce.

He had hospice care at home. Sadly we learned on Dehvin's 18th birthday that there was nothing more the doctors could do. I had to be the one to tell ryan his father was dying. Ryan flew to ga that monday September 12. He had not seen his father since right before he deployed. He got to spend a few days with his dad. Helping with his care since he was a nurse. I really wish we could have all been there with him and his dad as a family .

On September 15, Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, I went to the shrine and prayed and meditated on Our Lady of Sorrows. I stood and prayed before the Pieta....a voice told me dave would pass away tommorrow...I prayed , as difficult as it would be if it was His will for dave to pass away while ryan was still there. I prayed for peace and mercy on his soul. We are the only catholics in our family. That evening Ryan told me his dads right lung had shut down. He only had a short time.
I told Ryan I wanted the children to be able to tell grampa they loved him. His father did not regain consciousness . Friday morning Ryan placed the phone on his ear and each child spoke their name and said "I love you grampa" . I could hear his breathing stall when we spoke I truely feel he could hear us.
I decided to get the children packed up to drive to ga. Shortly before 2 pm my cell rang...I knew he had passed away.

Rest in Eternal Peace David Olschewske, as you rejoin with Agnes "grammy". We love you and miss you, give grammy a hug from all of us.....

I got this from my friend Katie's blog we both happened to hear this quote on a recent 9/11 tribute ....

"When one looses someone they love, all they should do is worship. They should thank God for the gift of that person. Thank God for the little things about the person they'll miss. Thank God for the weird quirks, the good times, the hard times. They should praise him for the creation of a soul who touched their life in so many ways"


Here is the obituary:http://www.legacy.com/link.asp?i=ls000153664765

I am thankful the children got to spend time with grampa last december but sad ryan was not there because he was demoblizing....


Sebastian with Grampa


 Sebastian, Ethan and Grampa
Dehvin and Grampa

 






Here are a few other memories
From May 2008 Ryan's graduation from basic training at Ft Benning



Ethan and Grampa




This is from Ryan's last Christmas with his dad just before he deployed December 2009









This is the last photo of ryan with his dad



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, have a Blessed Day!