Sunday, October 30, 2011

Today's Mass Readings mention Breastfeeding

We split masses today. Meaning Dehvin and Tat went to 9 am and I went to 11 with Ansely and Ethan. I dont always do this but since Felicity has a fractured ankle and Sebastian has reached the point where I can not keep him in the sling nursing...I felt he would have more fun at home...

Today's readings left me sad...you will see why. But I feel so guilty NOT bringing everyone together to mass. With Ryan gone again I do not have my helper....well honestly since he has been back he has not been great with the children....

Here are the Mass readings from scripture:
 Psalm 131:
"But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a child quieted at its mother's breast; like a child that is quieted is my soul."

Notice how the verse from Psalms talks about how breastfeeding quiets a child. Isn't that so true! When babies are hungry, sleepy, need to suckle or just need MOM, nursing often does the trick.  There are three things a baby needs: nourishment, warmth and security. Breastfeeding fulfills all three of these needs. Even older babies and toddlers need these things. How wonderful that a mother can breastfeed her child when he is feeling insecure among strangers or is having a meltdown!


From 1 Thes 2:

"We were gentle among you, as a nursing mother cares for her children."

During breastfeeding, hormones are released in the mother's body that help her to relax and sometimes even want to fall asleep! I believe that breastfeeding helps mothers be more gentle with their child. How easy it is for parents to get frustrated - What the world needs is a whole lot of Prolactin :)

Here is a family photo from Ethan's First Communion.....




2 comments:

  1. I also took in the readings.....makes me long for a latchling :-)
    I think I'll just have to be an adoptive breastfeeding advocate.....unless God has another plan.....we are getting old and older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear your time may be neAr again...like you said adoptive breastfeeding...there are so many babies in néed of homes . Doesn't matter how old you are ...children keep us young at heart.
    Much love

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, have a Blessed Day!