Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ecological Breastfeeding and HHS

SO I am switching subjects this morning...because while my family is going thru a lot so is our country, and my husband fought for this country and is suffering for it. Our Catholic faith is being threatened. Our freedom of religion is being threatened. I will not sit back and be silent about the HHS ruling. Here is a quote I want to share this morning and I share more after.
"The HHS ruling which forces Catholic-affliated employers to cover free birth control, free abortifacients, and free sterilizations follows the Institute of Medicine’s recommendation that such treatments are preventive health so women can “space their pregnancies to promote optimal birth outcomes” (Clinical Preventive Services for Women, Institute of Medicine, July 2011).

If the government really wanted to space pregnancies in a healthy way, it would go green and promote the kind of breastfeeding known as ecological breastfeeding. This is the only type of breastfeeding associated with an extended length of amenorrhea (no periods) for an average of 14 to 15 months postpartum.
The research is there, but they ignore this natural way of spacing babies. It’s God plan for mother and baby, a theology of the body that is poorly ignored. And, unfortunately, our Church leaders also ignore it.

Because of the many health benefits to both mother and child with extended breastfeeding, it is hard to know why the government and the Church fail to promote this most natural method. Eco-breastfeeding achieves its average two-year baby spacing without abstinence. This is a subject which Church and State ought to agree and promote.
As a Catholic one cannot vote for anyone who promotes such evils and makes immorality a law of the land. This also includes the evil of abortion.
Sheila Kippley"

The above statement from Shelia Kippley is something you may not hear in the mainstream news and honestly not widespread among my Catholic friends. Why? well for one many do not even breastfeed. Most of my friends babies are about 2 years apart. If you do the math from what Shelia Kippley states (in all her books about NFP and EBF) then you will indeed see conception occured around that average ...Not bad right? WHile others say to me all the time "I got pregnant while breastfeeding" so EBF or NFP doesnt work. But I beg to differ...Work?? in whose eyes?
As you may know I have 6 children on earth and 4 in heaven. I have been nursing since my oldest was born (she was 18 last september) and I am still nursing Sebastian who will 3 in May... My others are 15, 11 (12 in May) and 9. See the spacing??
Yes I TRUELY Ecologically breastfeed. Non of my babies have used a pacifier or bottle. I nursed on cue following their signs and needs. They were carried ALL day in a sling (even for naps) no swings, no jumperoo, no bumpbo thingy, as they got older I also laid down to nurse them which is a big mix in this puzzle, taking time to lay down snuggle and rest....How did I manage this when I had 3 littles? I locked them in the bedroom with me with a Barney video (yes this was over 12 years ago). They usually would cuddle up also with me.
My babies also nursed THRU the night beside me. I never went longer than 2-3 hrs with out them nursing. And back then I was tandem nursing.
My babies also did not begin to nibble FROM my plate until they were a year old....First Birthday Cake??Sure my first baby had an organic vegan one she played in after her I did a fancy V cut melon with fresh blue berries and a candle .....Again they played with it for photo opts... On average my periods returned about 18-20 months post part. But my fertility did not return till months later...

Yes there are exceptions, I know a few moms whom say they did EBF. But I wonder sometimes ......then again there are a few that do conceive even though they ~may~ have been EBF. I wonder if they were taking that time to lay down to nurse because research is showing THAT may be part of that mystery. There is much we may never know....but I know EBF is for me and my children. IT works, yes it may not be easy. Motherhood is not easy. But breastfeeding makes it easier for me....I realize I ended this post different than I started...and I will continue that discussion another time...
Have a Blessed day~










2 comments:

  1. Amen!!!!!

    Beautiful Picture!!!

    Love,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Virginia! My daughter took it ...

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, have a Blessed Day!